Frequently Asked Questions
- When may the materials be started with beginners?
As soon as they have learned a few sounds. The fingering chart can be played immediately
in a group setting, so the book can be used effectively at the first rehearsal.
- Are all of the Basic Sounds introduced?
Yes and all of the enharmonics.
- Will the Technique for Band work with the basic text I now use with my band?
Yes. Regardless of the basic method used, the Technique for Band will reinforce
learning of essentials.
- How many scales are presented in the Elementary Book?
Four concert keys. E flat, B flat, F , and A flat.
- How many scales are represented in the Intermediate Book?
All twelve major scales plus chromatic.
- How much time should be devoted to the materials?
Practicing the exercises for a few minutes at each rehearsal is recommended.
- Can the exercises be played using different rhythm patterns?
Absolutely, and also with different articulations and tempos.
- Would the melodic patterns be singable?
Many directors find it quite helpful to use solfege or neutral
syllables. Some have the brass players Buzz the patterns too.
- Are the books useful in group lessons?
- Have private teachers found the books useful?
Yes, it works well in a private setting for the same reasons it does in the group setting. The focus is on the refinement of essentials all musicians use.